Friday, April 20, 2012

Hubbard Story (revisited)

I realize many people are just coming across this blog and my Kickstarter project now... WELCOME! My name is Ryan Arthurs and I am a photographer and a canoe tripper.

First, I want to thank you so much for visiting this website, reading about my canoe trip down the George River and hopefully supporting my project. To those 70 people who have already pledged their support- you rock. With your help I am going to be able to paddle from Labrador City to the Ungava Bay and publish my first photo book.

Since February, I have been trying to write daily posts detailing the planning of our trip, who we are and what this is all about. Feel free to search through the blog's archive and read up on hows things got this far. Lots of posts to read, but to make things easier I am going to repost some of the more important info. I'm going to start with the Hubbards' story as it really inspired this canoe trip and my decision to make a photo book.

Photobucket
Hubbard expedition leaving Lake Melville, North West River, Labrador, 1903

Photobucket
In 1903, Leonidas Hubbard, Dillon Wallace and George Ellison departed North West River (A) with the goal of paddling and portaging across Labrador to the Ungava Bay (B) to the north.

Photobucket
But plagued by poor judgement and bad luck, his party turned back and Hubbard died of starvation just 30 miles from North West River.

Photobucket
Two years later, in the summer of 1905, his widow, Mina Hubbard, completed the journey across Labrador.

No comments:

Post a Comment