Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Project

Photobucket
Moisie River campsite, Labrador, 2011.

Having grown up canoeing throughout Ontario and Quebec and completing similar long expeditions, I am fascinated with the Hubbards' story. I find it to be one of the great true adventure stories of our century and yet at the heart of it, it is also a love story. The idea of following the footsteps of someone you love to be closer to them I find beautiful and haunting. I hope to incorporate these ideas into my photographs.

With that in mind I am setting out to this July 2012 to paddle the George River from Schefferville to the village of George River, off of Ungava Bay. I will be following much of Hubbards' route and am looking to self-publish a book of the resulting photographs.

The trip will take approximately 24 days. 20 days to paddle the river and 2 days of travel to get there and back.

I am looking to raise $12,000 to help self-publish my book, cover my film, travel, food and other various costs of the trip, including my return from the village of George River (Kangiqsualujjuaq) via sea-plane.

Also, as part of my project I am arranging to have my canoe donated to a school in Kangiqsualujjuaq. Currently trying to reach out to the community and arrange this donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment